Sunday, February 24, 2008

Snow... beautiful white fluff or disgusting mush

So, I was going to post a boring update on my life but then decided no one really cares anyway. But, then I read Quinn's Blog and decided I'd blog.

I'm still in love with the snow. I know - everybody hates it. Lisa would probably be happy to never see winter again. And Quinn makes some valid points about why snow sucks. I mean, the slipperyness is scary (and eating it in front of school is not so amusing for my ass). Not being able to wear heels kills all my outfits (then again, I have been known to known to wear heels in very wintery conditions - ski trip, this past weekend). And the crappy shoveling turns snow into mush so by the time you get to school your shoes are muddy and your socks are soaked (unless you're smart enough to get rain boots or something - and btw, californians, rain boots are not just for the rain. and uggs don't really cut it in a snow storm - not that i own any).

So ya, there are plenty of reasons to hate snow. But, its so awesome. It snowed all day friday - i don't think it even stopped for a minute. I just wanted to sit in bed all day and stare out my window (which is logistically a bit challenging but just fantasize with me). I think it might be all those "ski trips" (read: get drunk in a cabin for 3 days and go outside once for a drunken snowball fight). See, when you're in a cabin for a weekend with friends and family - you get to spend three days in sweats drinking hot chocolate and tea and eating yummy food and playing board games. And, when you feel like it, you can throw on some appropriate gear, run outside, make a few snow angels, throw a few snowballs, and call it a day. When I see snow here, I suddenly feel like I'm on a weekend retreat in the mountains. Snow days = lazy days. I just want to eat cookies and drink tea and stare at the big flakes falling.

Of course, I don't always get to lay around all day. I OCCASIONALLY have to do work or go to school or something crazy like that. But even at school, when the snow starts falling, I feel like my blood pressure drops. I'm less stressed, more relaxed - perhaps a little giddy. And, when I have to walk home from somewhere in the snow - I do what most people do - curse the snow, the mud, the sand and salt and whatever else they use, the slush, the snow trucks that can't plow properly, the idiots who don't shovel their sidewalk. Yes, I hate them all too. But, on Saturday morning - looking out at a snow covered Allston (probably the only time that ghetto looks pretty), I felt like I should be getting ready to open xmas presents. Snow = christmas too i guess. Aw. Where are my presents damnit? Then on nights like this - I love walking home in the freezing cold and seeing all the white snow thats still on the bushes and trees. The unmuddy stuff that still looks fresh (and edible). Oh, and I love seeing the kids sledding. On friday night, when I left the house (around 8 pm or so), there were kids sledding at the two parks near my house. You could hear them yelling and giggling blocks away. I was about to ditch everyone and join the kids. Damn block party.


Anyway, all else is well in my life. Perhaps I should mention that I had a great V-day. Best of both worlds - date + friends. My weekend was mediocre. It had the potential of being great but I was sick and cruddy feeling. I went to my Sacred Yoga class today. If you are ever in beantown, you must try this class out. I call it heaven on earth - because i'm lame and cheesy and don't know how else to describe it. But really - its an awesome class. You really don't want it to end and when it does, everyone walks out like a zombie - half asleep, dazed, content... dunno.

Oh, and lastly, I'm starting to plan for the summer. I'm getting a tad bit excited. PA will still suck but...

No comments: