Thursday, February 21, 2008

just for fun...

I used to send emails to friends rather than blog.... (and by "used to" i mean - 2002-2003). Here is one from May 15, 2003.

Good Morning Comrades. It is 8:30am and I have just snuggled up in bed-ready for my two hour nap. At 6:45 this morning, Maria and I finally decided to leave the library and hit the DC (dining commons).

An adventurous night it was....I bumped into some glendale folk (non-ucb students) at 4:00 am cruising around school. And I managed to briefly peel myself away from the my dearest computer and solitaire in order to read the first of many books i need to read in the next few weeks.

I'd like to take this moment to add...DAWSON'S CREEK SUCKED!

**Random quotes taken out of context**
"Yuck! It's hard. I don't like them hard" (Maria)

I got to bang on the drums with the bums Monday night. I guess I should explain this one. The bums like to sit in the historical Sproul Plaza (think free speech movement) and bang away at garbage cans, buckets, baskets, tins and such items. They have an abundance of sticks and poles to drum with and they do this every night for a few hours. Its very rhythmic yet rather scary. In fact, the first time i heard it, i thought it was a cult (perhaps sacrificing a sheep).

Monday night, after a boba run, we (Maria and I) decided to join their percussion band and in no time we were banging away "finals stress." Of course, the cops came, smiled....then one stepped into the middle of the group and yelled, "STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP" at which point the "band leader" let out an almost anguished scream and all the bums slammed down their instruments and kicked a few buckets around (think of it as the grand finale!). They then thanked us and we thanked them and went along our separate ways. Some day you should all join me for some late night bum drumming.

**you know you are entering a new era when you walk by "people's park" (where all the bums are) and a cell phone rings.....you turn to see a bum picking up a cell phone.**

many more stories i'd love to share with you someday- like the city council bum who argues that mickey ALSO has a village- in fact he has two! And the bums that wish you luck on your finals. And the many other interesting folks that make berkeley the wonderful (and hilarious) place it is. Call me up- i'll be in town in 10 days!

PS...Maria was talking about strawberries!

No comments: