Tuesday, October 03, 2006

When you know you need to stop asking questions in class!


For those in Law School - I'm sure you're all familiar with the terms Gunner or Classhole.

For those not in Law School - let me translate - That one wise ass who always raises his hand - purely for the sake of hearing his/her own voice.

Ya, those. You all had them - undergrad, grad... heck, at the office meetings! (Employee to Boss: "The other day, a customer came in, and I was very nice to them and they bought lots of merchandise... I did the right thing right?" - ya dumbass, no more rhetorical questions please!)

Well, I always wonder if professors realize these guys are just being pricks or if they truly think the students are asking valid questions.

Today, I noticed how our professor addresses this:
If you ask a...
1. Dumb Rhetorical question purely for the sake of hearing yourself speak the professor responds with: "Well, why don't you tell me what you think?" in other words, I'm not going to waste my time answering you - I'm sure you can answer yourself just fine and then feel really stupid for asking a question you just answered yourself while the entire class giggles and/or rolls their eyes.

2. Smart, Valid, Curious question... well, you'll get an answer.

Simple as that folks.

Now if only people would stop wasting class time on absurd hypotheticals with about 20 different what if's in one sentence!

No comments: