Thursday, January 25, 2007

Because you're too dumb to take care of yourself

I am convinced that our government will go so far in policing our daily lives and activities that people will completely forget how to look out for themselves. Of course, I always complain about the stupid glendalians who expect the police to walk next to them and protect them every second of the day (look, if a car is speeding - don't walk in front of it - because that guy *could* get a speeding ticket if the police were there but I don't think a ticket makes up for your LIFE!) But, its not just in Glendale. It seems that all over the country, people expect the government to tell us what is okay and whats not.

Look, you don't have to tell me McDonald's is bad. I'm a living, breathing, THINKING human being and it seems to me common sense that microwaved, fried food thats so cheap and made so fast MUST be bad for me in some way or another. Even if common sense didn't give it away, perhaps just listening to my body for a split second would provide some clues (you know, that gross feeling you get after you eat a bunch of junk/crap food). I do not need the government to ban McDonalds. ("But what about the POOR, HELPLESS KIDS!?" Um, you said it yourself - kids are POOR. They get their money from YOU. Teach them and regulate... thats why you're the parent and they're the child!)

(This is the same reason I support the legalization of drugs even though I don't prefer to do them myself. This is the same reason I don't think cigarettes should be illegal even though its the most disgusting thing in the world.)

But, every week it seems the government and stupid pathetic interest groups with nothing better to do are going a step further - regulating the foods we eat - and theyre doing it becaus(can you believe someone filed a suit against Oreos? I mean honestly, did anyone think Oreos are good for you? Hm, ditch the carrots - lets have some COOKIES!)

Now, they're trying to ban the games you play - because (god forbid) you might hurt yourself. (See Article) A group apparently started at BU (I'm sorry, I do apologize for our stupidity and over regulation) has apparently succeeding in convincing major retailers to take "drinking games" off their shelves. Why? Because people die playing drinking games. Well guess what, there was this dude named "darwin" and he predicted "survival of the fittest" - if you're stupid enough to drink yourself to death playing beer pong, you're probably better off dead. (Or at least not reproducing). And if Target doesn't sell beer pong - it doesn't mean that people won't play beer pong. People have drank themselves silly since before Target existed - and long before "Beirut" was the popular thing to do at a college party. And our great great great grandchildren will likely be getting drunk and stupid long after we're buried in the ground (unless, of course, they find more interesting methods for becoming intoxicated).

Anyway, I just had to rant. I'm absolutely furious with these stupid idiots trying to regulate what we do. Point is, it doesn't work. Second point is, the more they do it - the more reliant people become. Pretty soon, people won't think to wipe their own ass after taking a shit unless the government or some "shit" interest group comes up with a law or policy forcing people to.

As my 7th grade choir teacher once said - in other countries, people still have common sense - they see some newly planted grass and think, "hm... I shouldn't walk on that because I might kill it - I should let the grass grow" - but here in America, people see newly planted grass, look around for a sign that says "Do Not Walk On Grass" and, when they don't see a sign or rope taping it off, they figure - "well, no one told me not to" - and go ahead and walk all over the grass.

Idiots!

No comments: