Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Finally...

People claim the world is coming to an end. First it snowed in the deserts of Nevada... next we had snowfall in Tuscon, Arizona and of course, I heard those accounts of snow in Malibu, California. Holy cow, the sky is falling!

But, alas, I'd like to happily announce that the world is not coming to an end after all. It FINALLY snowed in Boston. (Yes, you poor cali folk got the snow before our freezing cold city in the North east). So, hopefully, the rest of the country will slowly return to its normal climate and let us be miserable with our wonderful snow!

Honestly, I'm so excited. There were so many days of "snow shower" (which basically means you sorta see some snowfall for ten minutes if you leave the house early enough in the AM but no snow on the ground...). And there was one day (or maybe two?) when it actually did snow for a little bit but not enough to cover the ground for more than 30 minutes. And, what made it worse was that no snow doesn't = warm weather. I mean, we've been having daytime highs in the 20's and 30's. (btw, note the "daytime high" since so many of you in warmer climates like to say - "well we get the 30's too!" - ya, thats your overnight low.) At one point, Tania asked if I was still loving Boston and my still painfully frozen fingers typed out "NO!!!"

But this morning that changed. I woke up feeling miserable and sick (yes, again) and started to get dressed. As I was debating what to do with my hair I glanced out the window and noticed lots of white. Wait... white? Yay! Snow! It took me a second to register white = snow (ya, you try sitting through my con law class and having any brain cells left for anything else).

I shouldn't be so giddy about snow since I just came from Maine where there was lots of powder (blowing in your face) and great single digit temperatures with sub-zero windchill. But that was a ski lodge. You expect snow. Its always there. Its different to see snow from your bedroom... in a regular city... on your regular commute. It was so perdy! All the rooftops and trees and the ground and streets. I walked outside to see the neighbors shoveling snow and cleaning off their cars (boy am I glad I didn't bring my car!). Everyone was smiling and excited...I think the snow and cold just makes you hyper. And of course, I had a wonderful walk to the T stop with the powder snow crunching under my boots (don't you LOVE that sound/feeling?).

And when I got to school I noticed that the Charles River was covered in white.... from riverbank to river bank (trees, shore and river). I didn't even think it was possible for the river to freeze. But apparently its frozen and covered in white! I can't wait to get a camera so I can snap some pictures for ya'll.

Anyway. All I can say is, yay for snow. And yay for Boston.

No comments: