Thursday, June 28, 2007

another day, another stranger...

So much for not talking to strangers...

Yes, the T again. I honestly believe there is a tattoo on my forehead (in invisible-only-to-alina ink) that says, "talk to me!"

I got on the T at north station yesterday. As always, I had my book in hand... my thumb sorta holding my spot until I could find a spot to sit. When I got on, there was an empty seat next to some "young gentlemen" - probably someone about my age, on his way home from work. I sat down, opened my book and started reading...

"A wave of..."

"What book are you reading?"

Not really wanting to get involved in a conversation mid-sentence, midway into my book (okay, so maybe it was more like 1/3rd of the way)... I closed the book and turned it so he could see the binding.

"Lies and the lying liars who tell them," he read aloud.

Satisfied that I had sufficiently answered his question, I opened the book back up and started reading again...

" A wave of..."

"What is it about? Is it about men?"

I stared at him for a moment not sure how to answer. "Well, its by Al Franken, so I guess you'd probably call it a political book..."

"Oh."

Again, I went back to reading.

"A wave ..."

This time, I interrupted myself. "Wow," I said, looking up at him and laughing. "Way to incriminate yourself." (Way to break your "no talking to strangers" rule Alina!)

He laughed. "No. I mean. Well... I just feel like that seems to be the consensus."

I just sorta nodded and said okay. I might have said something along the lines of, "Sure, but I'm not sure you want to just admit to it."

Either way, he responded. "Not me. I'm just saying."

(me) "Well, you are male aren't you? You do fall into that category."

(him) "Ya, but I wasn't referring to myself. I mean..."

(me) "Right! I believe you..."

I went back to reading. He just sorta sat there smiling - not in a smug way - but the way you usually do after a joking/friendly exchange. The next stop was his and as we pulled in he signaled to me that he needed to get out so I slid over a bit and let him pass. As he exited out the door (just a few seats from me) he turned and said, "We're not all liars you know..."

"Sure!" I said... smiling and nodding.

He did seem like a nice guy. Too bad he has a penis.

No comments: