Friday, March 30, 2007

Flip Flop time!

No no, I'm not talking about those damn flip floppers. I'm talking about flip flops! I wore flip flops today! YAY!

Granted... I did do crazy things during winter -such as wearing flip flops on cold days - but this is the first time in months I've worn flip flops without worrying about losing my toes! I'm absolutely giddy. (it might hit 60 today!)

Spring is here. (Happy belated Norouz to those who celebrate it). I have never been so excited for Spring. I never really understood what the big deal was. Spring doesn't mean anything in Southern California. Spring is... when you change the clocks and lose an hour of sleep (Spring ahead...).

But after experiencing my first real winter, I get to experience my first real spring. And now, I GET IT. The days are getting longer, the weather is slowly warming up and it just seems like everything is coming back to life. People are back out on the lawn reading, napping, talking on their phones. The flowers in the yard are blooming... and pretty soon i'm sure the trees will be all green too.

Earlier this week, as I walked out of class, I noticed that people are back on the river. The Charles was frozen over for the last few months but now its flowing again and the crew and sailing teams are back out there in their boats. I don't think it's possible to look out at the river - with all the sailboats and their white sails - and not get happy.

I guess seasons give you something to look forward to. For now, I'm going to enjoy spring - light jackets, 50-60 degree temps, and pretty flowers! And I'm sure, come June, I will be eager for summer. And, after enduring a few weeks of heat and humidity, I will likely be ready for the fall - changing colors and cooler temperatures. And, once the leaves are all gone, I will eagerly await the first snow. How wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is cool to live in a place that has real seasons after living in LA all your life, isn't it? I just wish the non-summer seasons were shorter. Just a taste of them is enough for me :)

sarah said...

They ARE short! At least fall and spring are usually too short. :) Miss A, your musings are cute.