Thursday, July 19, 2007

adventures in lynn

I had to run an errand of sorts for work today.

I had to go find the dead guy's car.

My boss has been out of the office for a few days and he asked me on Tuesday if I could go find this guys car. His instructions were... "Somewhere in these boxes you'll find his keys, his registration, and the title to his car - find those then go look for his car."

Yesterday it was raining all day so I figured I'd go today. Unfortunately, I hung around the office for a bit too long waiting for some woman to return my call (it was a little urgent) before I headed out. I finally found the guys "stuff" in his box and was on my way out when I realized I hadn't grabbed his current address. Back up I went. Found the address. Left again - then I realize - car? what do i do when i find it. Back up I went to ask the other boss. We called him - he said just find the car. Thats it. So I headed out again.

As I stepped out - I noticed it was gloomy. Eh, what are the chances it'll actually rain? I kept walking. About a block away, I felt a few drops on me. I feel "a few drops" so often - and quite often, it does not turn into rain. So I decided against going back for my umbrella and kept walking.

A few more blocks, I passed a happy couple. Actually, the guy seemed miserable and the woman was complaining about something as he stared into space. They were trailer trashy looking people.... not exactly the classy type (I'm guessing late 30's ish). As I walked past them, I heard a kiss. Nah, I must be hearing things... The woman was clearly angered by something though because she kicked it up a notch and started chewing his head off. When I felt I was at a safe distance, I turned around - there he was, head resting on his hands which were resting on something (it was either a tool - like a shovel - or just a piece of wood) staring in my direction. Ew.

I kept walking. At this point the drops had turned into a drizzle. A little drizzle never hurt anyone... I semi folded the papers down the middle (I didn't want to crease them) and stuck them under my jacket, under my arm. By jacket, I mean, thin black cardigan (under which I was wearing a sleevless top). I finally arrived at the building. I pulled out the papers and quickly read the VIN number and type/make of the car - hoping they wouldn't get too wet white I was standing there. I looked up and down the street - no luck Then I turned the corner - BAM! Right there in front of the building was the exact make and model - and probably the same year. I quickly read the VIN. First three letters.... I was ready to go home! But I kept reading - fourth one didn't match.... This paper must be wrong. I whipped out the title. WRONG!?!?!? Damnit! I walked up and down the parking lot (small lot fortunately) and then headed across the street to another parking lot. I finally found the car but apparently aroused some suspicion. As I was leaving a resident of the building (its an old folks home) called out to me, "Whatcha lookin for?" "A car. I found it. Thank you sir." I smiled and kept walking. I KNOW after 2 months of working with them how these old people can be - and one simple explanation leads to endless questions so I just kept on walking.

The rain picked up. So did the wind. My hair was wet by now and dripping down my face. I tried to pick up my pace but my flip flops were also wet and my foot was sliding all over the place. I was getting pebbles under my feet and I could tell that my pants were soaking up the water from the ground. Great!

I hurriedly crossed a street and as I made it to the other end I heard a man shout from across the street - "Hey Girl!" I almost didn't turn around. Thank goodness I did. "You dropped some papers," he shouted, pointing to the intersection.

AHHHHHHHHHH! What? I ran back to the intersection but by now the light had changed - a few cars had just barely missed the papers but a truck was dangerously close (the papers - paper actually as I later discovered - was more towards the curb than the middle of the street) so I ran and jumped in front of it (smart, i know) and quickly grabbed the paper. I was relieved to see that it had barely even gotten wet (landed on a higher spot and not in a puddle) and turned and shouted "Thank you!" to the guy across the street and started walking. The whole time, I assumed the other papers were still under my arm. But as I came to put this paper back with its paper friends, I realize... uh oh.

"Hey Girl - There's more." Great! I turned around but didn't see any papers - I looked at the guy again hoping for some "direction" - he pointed and said, "back there." And thats when I saw them. The title and the registration laying in the middle of the street. The wind had blown them back and cars were coming at it - this is an awful street - between two intersections - one with a green light and the other with no light - where cars are constantly making super fast left turns - and no one was stopping. Another truck (red like the first one) was coming down the street again - this time, the truck was not "dangerously close" but rather, directly in line with the papers. Again, I jumped in front of the truck (in the background I heard the man yelling, "Dont get hit by a car" - Don't get hit? Did he realize these were important papers?). This time, it was a little more scary. The previous truck had seen me running and had slowed down - this truck had no idea I was coming - I held up my hand, praying he would stop....

He did. And thank god because I don't think I'd make good road kill. I quickly grabbed the papers - trying hard not to rip them - and ran. The papers were drenched but in tact. I carefully tried to unfold and uncrinkle them and put them with the other paper. They were too wet to roll up and put under my arm again so as I started walking I decided to use my jacket as a sheet protector. As I started stripping off my jacket (which is apparently what it looked like to some people) - I heard a group of guy sitting on some steps across the street say, "That's a cute one."

What am I? A DOG? I kept walking. My pants wet up to my knees almost. My hair - still dripping in my face - stuck to my head in parts and medusa-esque in other parts. I felt my head starting to hurt. I managed to get my jacket off and as I was wrapping it around the sheets of paper, one of the aforementioned "gentleman" came up alongside me and started walking with me.

"Hi"
"Hi" Is he serious? I have mascara running down my face and I look like a wet dog... he can't really be serious!

"Its a little rainy today"
A LITTLE RAINY? "Sure is"

"I was wondering if I could get your name? ... if you don't mind"
I mind buddy! I started laughing. "Sorry, I don't "give out" my name"
"Oh, alright. I understand." (...something something somethign - at this point, he stopped walking and I stopped listening but he was saying something about being safe "nowadays")

RIGHT!

Home? Almost? Yes, I was almost home. Sorta. But the rain was not helping. I finally reached the familiar path - under the bridge, along the train tracks, cross the street, up half a block to our building. Home.

So the moral of the story? Don't leave home without an umbrella. If you do, bring cash so you can buy one - or get a cab. And don't drop important papers that your boss asked you for in the middle of the street on a rainy day. Oh ya, don't try to stop a truck by running in front of it either. Any more? Don't pick up on girls when its raining outside and they are clearly wet adn cold and want to go home.

No comments: