Monday, July 16, 2007

excitement, anticipation, stress, anxiety.... ah!!!

I am so excited about this upcoming school year. But, I'm also stressed. There is just so much riding on the first few weeks of the fall semester. AND there is such potential for a great year. AH!

The stress part - obviously - is the job hunting. I'm looking at a list of 200 law firms... and I can't tell one from the other. They also say the same thing - same pay (give or take a little), same practice areas (for the most part) - same same same. They all say the same thing about their summer associates and their summer programs. So obviously websites aren't the best way to go but any other way is just so time consuming... its taking forever. It doesn't help that I have no idea what type of law I'd like to practice. And it ESPECIALLY doesn't help to know that this job is potentially where I'll be for the next several years of my life. It's July 2007 and I have to figure out what exactly I'd like to do between September 2009 and sometime in 2014 (I mean, you can leave when you'd like - but ideally....) I can't make petty decisions about what to eat for dinner - how am I supposed to decide where I'd like to work? What if I get it all wrong? Heck, what if I apply to all the firms that DON'T want me! ah!

Basically - AH! WTF DO I DO!?!?!?!

But the better stuff?

I made it onto International Law Journal. I really wasn't expecting it. I don't think I did well on my writing competition (that's what happens when you go to LA and celebrate your birthday rather than staying back and working on it!) - and it seemed that a lot of people were interested in ILJ. But hey, I won't question it. It was my first choice (aside from the obligatory Law Review at the top of all of our lists..) and I think it'll be fun. Oh, and it seems we have a pretty fun group going so far. Of course, two social lubers in a journal together might make for some... uh... interesting.... journal family outtings.

Oh ya, ILJ has a great office with a gorgeous view of the Charles River. Nanee nanee boo boo. (I know, I know, many of the offices have decent views - I'm just excited - seeing as how I'll likely be spending a great deal of time in there - I've always wanted an apartment with a view!)

And then there's all the other fun stuff. SGA (student gov't - or student bar for you law students) = booze cruise, ski trip, bar reviews, prom, and more! International Law Society - with Jen and Kaitlin running the show, its bound to be an interesting year. And then of course the Legislative Clinic (working with the Mass Legislature in the Spring semester - woohoo!). AND! Moot Court. Okay, so, we still have to figure this one out... but Lisa and I just decided that we're going to tough it out because neither of us were willing to finish our law school careers without some moot court competitions! We're going to kick ass for sure.

No comments: