Monday, November 13, 2006

NYC and Shattered Dreams


Current mood: chipper

Great weekends are spent with great/interesting people... roomies, strangers on buses and bars and cherished old friends!

Friday - We had a drunken board game night for my roomie's birthday. Cranium is pretty fun after several drinks - try drawing something with your eyes closed and having your friends guess what it is... now try that drunk!

The strangest part of the night (or next day?) was waking up around 6am and finding myself on the couch - downstairs in the living room in my robe. I have no idea why i went down there - i have no idea why i was asleep on the couch. I know for a fact I went to bed in my room and I really wasn't that drunk (I didn't want to get wasted and be hungover the next day). It was very strange.

Saturday: I was supposed to leave for NYC on Saturday right after I met with my TA at 10 am. Of course, between memos and birthdays - I never got around to packing on Friday. So, Saturday morning turned out to be a mess. I went through the typical nightmare with the computers in the library - none of which seem to EVER work properly - it took me over an hour to print the 200+ pages i needed for my memo (why 200? because I was too lazy to read them all one by one online! - but spending 20 bux on copies sucks!) - by the time i hit the road it was 2. Met an interesting English guy on the bus - had a little chat about US vs. England... got to ny around 6:20 - got to where Helen was staying close to 7.

Anyway, Helen, Andre and myself headed out to dinner - good food and great conversation... then went to some bar in the lower east side. Pam and her friend joined us as well - a Glendale reuinion in NYC! Had a few drinks and eventually headed across the street to another bar... then home.

Sunday: We woke up and walked down to battery park. My friend Armen from NY/NJ was with us. Helen and Andre did the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour but I was a bit worried about my time crunch so I opted to stay back and have lunch with Armen. We had some great Thai food (how long have i been craving Thai food???) then decided to head over to the Bourgious Pig for some fondue - unfortunately the B.P. was still closed so we headed across the street and had some beer- we were joined by a friend of a friend. Eventually, Armen and I headed back to B.P. where we had some EXCELLENT fondue (if you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it). The place is this tiny little artsy place - the "staff" or two are totally awesome - we chatted a bit about homeless people and shingles (long story).

Unfortunately, we had to rush our fondue experience so I could grab my stuff and head back to the bus stop - and though that was a brief nightmare (I was freaking out that I'd never get on it), I got to chat with the guy sitting next to me the whole way back about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - okay, well not really - but I did get totally excited about St. Patty's day in Boston! (Its always better to have someone to chat with on a long ride).

I feel like I had so much packed into two days! Met several new people - got to see four friends.... fun times!


-------------------------
Oh and the shattered dreams - looks like no rosebowl for us. We always come - oh so close - but fuck it up in a game we should have HAD. Ya, we should have had this one - but we get big headed, over confident and leave our A game at home. Damnit - its been 50+ years. When will we get it right?

I'd like to hope that we can still kick SC's ass but the truth is, SC doesn't want to lose to us again- and I think they're going to come ready to kick our ass. We'll see!

I have a ton and a half of work to do - I got NOTHING done this weekend and I have way too much catching up to do :( Oh well, at least I had a good time :)

No comments: