Sunday, November 26, 2006

Rare Moments

(semi-incoherent rambling about my mood... my day... life?)

So, I was walking home today and suddenly, for no specific reason at all, I just started smiling. I was smiling practicially ear to ear.

I'm not really sure what triggered it... it could have been the song I was listening to...Or maybe a series of events over the past few days. I had a very long conversation with my mom a few nights ago. (It had been the perfect ending to one of the worst days I've had in years. At the end of a very long and very difficult and draining -both physically and emotionally, I had decided to ditch the train and walk home. The cool Boston air and the perfectly clear night were just what I needed. But then the nearly 3 hour conversation with my mom just really took the prize. - For those who don't know - 3 hour conversations with my mom don't happen - particularly not on the specific topics we discussed). To add to the series of events... I recently met with Maura in our career development office and we had a great conversation... it just sparked so many ideas in my head... it really was invigorating. Today, as I was heading home, I bumped into her in the elevator and picked her brain for some more information. Then, I chose to ditch the train again instead called my grandma for a few minutes (nothing big but she's just so cute! love her!).

And suddenly, when I was almost home...

I guess it was just one of those moments. I thought to myself... goddamn, I'm in Boston and I love it here. I know I"ll hate the cold but I'm loving the idea of it... along with the idea of the tree lighting ceremonies and hot cocoa (rather than palm trees and ice tea).

I couldn't help but think... I'm in Boston, I'm going to law school, I'm single. I have my whole life ahead of me... SO MANY CHOICES AND OPTIONS. I typically hate options... in fact, I often DESPISE options but the fact that I have them is so great. Its so liberating. I'm free - free to do as i please. Free to live my life the way i choose. I'm free to eat cookies before dinner, free to sleep in on Sundays... free to pick a career of my choice.

I don't know what it was really but... I guess it was just a sudden rush of cheer and optimism. It was great.

I remember this one day in September... we all thought it was the last warm day of the year (we were wrong) but this particular sunday was the only warm day we'd had in several days - and it wasn't just warm, it was hot. Right around sundown I headed towards campus to pick some things up and then decided to walk to the grocery store. As I walked down the street, I just couldn't help but feel great about being here. The sky looked beautiful, the vibe of the city was just right, there were students walking around everyone and I felt so at east - no homesickness, no longing for california... i felt very at home.

I dunno... I guess I just like Boston. But, as I always say, ask me again in January - I might have a different opinion about this city.

No comments: