Thursday, February 08, 2007

And we thought Communism was bad

Now New York wants to regulate - not only what you eat (the anti-trans fats movement) but also WHEN you listen to you iPod.

New York Senators are proposing legislation which would make it illegal to listen to/use your iPod while crossing the street. Yes, you read me right. Based on the proposed law, individuals caught listening to their iPod while crossing the street would be fined $100.

First and foremost, doesn't NYPD have much bigger problems on their hands? Don't they have some real criminals to go catch?

But honestly, is this how little faith we have in the common sense of our nation? Aren't NY people supposed to be some of the most street smart and savvy around?

I truly believe, as I've mentioned in my blogs, that the more we baby our population, the more dependent, inconsiderate and illogical we will become.

I don't need the government to tell me I am not ALLOWED to be distracted while I cross the street because I learned in Kindergarten to look both ways before I cross the street. And, my Grandma spent the next 6 years it in my head. And, if I'm not mistaken - "look both ways" is a common lesson on daytime children's shows and in elementary children's books. If you can't learn to look out for yourself, why do we need to?

Granted, it is an extra income for the state which is beneficial. But personally, I have full faith that I can safely cross the street while listening to my iPod - EVEN WITH an ambulance "charging" at me (not that an ambulance can exactly speed in NY traffic).

Perhaps I am a hypocritical person since I am an advocate for minimum wage and health care and all other welfare initiatives which some see as being "paternalistic" of the state. However, I do see a fundamental difference in the state requiring money hungry employers to provide health care for me and the state not letting me listen to my iPod while crossing the street.

Oh well

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi- Please do not think me rude. I didn't even realize I could leave a comment-mk