Saturday, February 10, 2007

Did he just say that?

A recent article on CNN talks about how kids are using "IM language" in term papers and essays. More and more teens are submitting papers using "ur, b4, dat" etc.

Personally, I think that is HORRIBLE! My extent of using "IM language" is usually using "cuz" instead of "because" and other, more recognize abbreviations such as w/ for with (and, when text messaging a LONG message, I will stay within my character limit by using u or ur - but not often). People who use da for the and dat for that should just shoot themselves. Shortening a word by one letter doesn't save you time or energy you lazy idiot! What's worse is kids who use ma instead of my (don't ask, I don't even know how that makes sense) - and what the hell is wata? is that what a?

Anyway, I agree with the teacher who says she is from the South but doesn't use Southern slang in her writing. I think this is normal. You never write bro or wassup or dude in a paper... slang/abbreviation/street talk - WHATEVER it is.

I just don't understand how 8th graders (not 5th graders) are finding it acceptable to use slang in papers. Where are our teachers? Are they too busy shopping online during class or something? I don't understand why my sister's high school students (in the past) couldn't form complete sentences. (She's a history teacher - she can't teach history if the English teachers aren't teaching English!) Did I have this problem in high school? Do high schoolers in other countries have this problem?

Of course, to add insult to injury - we have idiots promoting this wacko spelling stuff. For example: American Dreamz. Dreamz? Are we trying to be hip? I think I missed the memo that said "S" is out and "Z" is in....

And then this guy:
"Some educators, like David Warlick, 54, of Raleigh, North Carolina, see the young burgeoning band of instant messengers as a phenomenon that should be celebrated. Teachers should credit their students with inventing a new language ideal for communicating in a high-tech world, said Warlick, who has authored three books on technology in the classroom."

Um, did he just say "new language"? Yes, everyone, burn your websters because its time for a dictionary with the "nu lang" so we can all "b kewl" okay "dawg"?

MORON!

He goes on to say that most of his college students dropped the "adolescent" habit once they got to college.
1. If its adolescent, why are you giving it such a stamp of approval by labeling it a new language?
2. The college students you have now weren't using "ur" in their 8th grade papers... aim was popular then but I don't aim language was extremely popular yet.
3. Why wait until college? Do you really want the bad habits to be that engrained before you stop them? Should we baby our 17 year olds and allow them to make fools of themselves?

I know slang is slang - it will never go away. Slang adds flavor to our language. Slang is culture. I get all that. But this new tech stuff gets on my nerves. Yet, I am still willing to put up with it.... as long as it is restricted to the tech and internet world. Never, ever, ever should it be acceptable in a classroom.

No comments: