Sunday, February 18, 2007

Two in a row

because blogging is more fun than revising my appellate brief.

So, I finally rolled up my shades today to let some light into my room (my windows are horrible so the last few days I pulled the shades down to help keep the draft out).

I absolutely ADORE looking out my window at the snow covered rooftops. And just now, as I was contemplating writing a second blog, it started to snow. It looks like there are tiny white dust particles floating through the air. Its lovely.

Now, what's not lovely is that ice i've been complaining about for the last few days. I mean, it's not necessarily the black ice that sucks. Everyone keeps warning me about the ice you can't see - yada yada. But, it's the ice I CAN SEE that's the problem.

See, you can usually spot the black ice if you're paying attention - and if you're not, you can just assume that it's slippery and walk carefully.

But when you're on the snow... you can't tell which parts of the snow are solid slippery ice and which parts are just icey (the kind you can step on and it crunches a bit). And so, you relax for a few steps thinking - hey, its the crunchy stuff - and then all of a sudden... you slip.

And yes, I did finally eat it. I was crossing the street at Harvard Square on my way to the Arto concert and as I stepped onto the sidewalk, my legs flew back and I hit the pavement - sorta on my hip. I was covered in ice and mud - ew! Thankfully, my legs slipped back instead of forward because had I fallen the other way, my head would have hit the pavement in the middle of the intersection - and Bostonians aren't the calm collected "Oh look there's a head in the road maybe i should stop" type of drivers.

I will always associate that fine university (that my children are going to graduate from) with my first ice fall. Aw :)

No comments: