Sunday, February 18, 2007

Glendale Elections = Fun Times

I woke up at 8 am today. That's just disgusting. Not only is it Sunday - its a 3-day weekend sunday. What on earth was i thinking? (It was the alcohol from last night doing the thinking - not me!)

I was very excited to find out that I am still loved in Glendale. The one thing I hate about Boston is being anonymous. But fortunately, Glendalians are keeping my "memory" alive...

You see, there is a crazy woman running for school board and her name is Naira Khachatrian (sp?). Though I've never met her in person (I don't think), I did have the pleasure of speaking to her on the phone when she called me one day - here is an abbreviated transcript:

N: I saw you on television last night and you said you were the proud product of public schools. How could you be proud? Our public schools suck. They keep our children back! If you had received a good education, you would have been able to go to a good college such as UC Berkeley. You know, my son is very smart - he got into Berkeley.

Me: It's funny you should say that because I DID go to Berkeley. Who is your son btw? I knew many of the Armenians on campus.

N: Oh, my son didn't go to Berkeley for various reasons - he went to (I believe she said CSULA). And you DID NOT go to Berkeley. Don't try to fool me! You could have never gotten into Berkeley. Do you know what sort of GPA you need to get into Berkeley? My son is very smart. What was your GPA? And you are too young to have graduated from Berkeley!

Me: Well, I transferred to Berkeley. My GPA was XXX. And I did graduate from Berkeley last spring.

N: Liar. You did not. How old are you? How could you? Do you know UNIVERSITIES are FOUR YEAR schools not TWO YEAR schools? Do you realize Berkeley is a FOUR YEAR school? That means you must be 22 when you finish. They don't allow you to finish in less time than that. And Berkeley doesn't take transfers.

I finally gave up and said, "You must be right. I would not know anything about Berkeley or the UC system. I am an idiot. Thank you for educating me on the failure of our public school system. But if you ever have a free moment, please drop by the office and take a look at my degree - perhaps you can tell me what school I graduated from. Have a nice day." (Click).

Well, I guess this woman is still hung up on our little conversation because apparently she attacked me on TV a few weeks ago. Awwww! Isn't that sweet? I'm not even IN the city and she's using me for her politicking. I love it!

The unfortunate part is that I heard about this through someone else and actually have no idea what she did say - I'd LOVE to find out so if you happen to watch Armenian TV and see a crazy lady talking about me... drop me a note!

(When I told my mom this story she said - "Hey, they say there is no such thing as bad publicity." Lol. I must agree. As long as she feels the need to bring up my name in conversation, I must be doing something right! ....well, unless I'm a crack addict or something)

No comments: