Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aging with grace

Each morning, I leave my house, walk down the street, around the corner and down the little hill to wait for the T (equivalent of the subway). Right on the corner there is an old vintage store and as I pass it, I always admire the very cute outfits it has – very classy dresses that remind me of something Jackie O might wear – or any classy first lady I guess.

This morning, I had an imaginary conversation in my head with a certain someone (male) – the convo went something like:
Me: "Don't you love that dress?"
Him: "Eh. I prefer them short and tight"
Me: "Silly, it's not for a club – its like a business/work outfit – or brunch with the family… It's what you'd want your wife to wear in her late 30's and 40's"
Him: "I'd want my wife to dress hot, even when she's 40. I want my wife to be a MILF"


Okay, so you all want your wives to be sexy – and we ladies all want to be that 40 year old woman that can still strut her stuff in a two piece bikini but, whatever happened to class? What happened to women aging gracefully and wearing things that are age appropriate?

I always express contempt for today's superficial society in which image and beauty supersede most other qualities in an individual. Of course, I believe this is more of a phenomenon in LA than other places. But it's very sad. A woman used to age gracefully – in your 20's it's the mini-skirts and itty bitty tops, in your 30's (and 40's) it's a little more conservative yet still trendy – slacks, longer skits, classy yet sexy dresses (a bit revealing but not too much)…. And then the 40's and 50's would be the classy clothes – the Jackie O type dresses – not always short and tight – sometimes curvy sometimes "poofy" (for lack of a better word - but I'm not referring to like 80's style poofy).

I think there are still plenty of women out there who will age with grace – accept that certain age groups are appropriate for certain behavior and attire (personally, I think I'll be the 30 year old lush so maybe I shouldn't talk about appropriate behavior!) but unfortunately, so many women are so eager to be 21 forever, they forget that being a grandma has its perks too…

No comments: